Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Hi, my name is Linda, and I am an addict in good standing in various support groups.  Here are 3:

1.

The 40% Off coupon At Michael's group has probably millions of members, but at the moment I will only mention two--myself and Pam.  On several occasions, I have gotten a call from Pam saying, "Tell me to get out of here" while she's shopping the aisles of Michaels, deciding what to spend her coupon on.  At the moment, I am a lousy sponsor because I only encourage her--and vice versa.

This is an addiction about which I have no shame--in fact, I think it's my higher power that takes me there week after week to get some item I've heard Mike Deakins name as essential for art journaling.

I am at the moment, enjoying every drop of paint potential in my red drawers, every squeeze of the pipette, every stroke of the brushes, so I am not repentant as members of support groups should probably be.

Colors feed the soul.  Imagining different ways to spread colors--well, I think that IS my higher power, whether with words or paints.

2.

Another support group is Puppy-Lovers-Not-Anonymous.

We talked last night about the pros and cons of my getting a puppy.  I have two higher powers at the moment in this club--the cuddly one and the practical one.  They are still duking it out.

Kate has always said, "Do not get a dog and if you consider doing it, call me first."  But when she saw the picture of the Coton du Tulear (cotton ball from the village of Tulear in Madagascar) she waved her hand and said, "Oh, you can get that one!"  (For one thing his daddy weighs 8 pounds and he's not going to get much heavier than a can of Diet Coke.)

Pam said, "Get thee out of the pet shop!  If you want a dog, go to the Humane Society and adopt one."  (This has always been my point of view as well, so she affirmed the practical wisdom of that version of higher power.)

Bonnie said, "If you love it, do it.  Life is short.  If it brings you pleasure, go for it."  She added for good measure, "When people die, they don't regret what they've done, only what they've wanted to do and not done."

Jan and Kate and Will's whole family voted thumbs up for a little house puppy, the kids generously offering free puppy-keeping when I travel--however, traveling with a little furry companion is one of my motivations for wanting one!


3.  Choice Makers Anonymous

Some say it's a quality of Libras--taking forever to decide.  By the time I got my first Mini Cooper, I had interviewed every Mini driver I could find.  My years of Minis are years I'll always remember fondly, no regrets!

If I had unlimited funds, this little guy would already be in my bed with me.  But the expense of buying and flying a purebred dog makes it a big deal decision, not one to be taken lightly, not one to be rushed into.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward giving myself a few months to do the research and think it through, but the prospect of bringing a furry little anonymous puppy home and making him my guy reminds me of what the In-Love-Years felt like!


No comments: