Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2019

Knowing what it is changes everything....

Spring fever in this particular brain has manifested itself in peculiar ways: a little garden variety anxiety about a couple of things, a smidge of the blues, nothing major, probably nothing that couldn't be remedied by a road trip and some exercise.

This morning, I decided to get a massage at the Chinese place to see if that would help. They are strong and efficient and they get the kinks out.  I had the camera in the car and had planned to take a drive into the country after the massage.

Nearing the end, I felt something nibbling at my finger and recoiled in horror and a shriek.  The massage woman said what sounded like "shit!" and got the offending nibbler out of the room, but the room was too dark to see what it was.

It felt like maybe a cat, but I'd never seen a cat in that particular establishment and I asked her repeatedly, "What was that?"

She doesn't understand English (and I don't understand Chinese)  and she led me to believe it was nothing worth worrying about and tried to draw my arms back to their dangling position.  I refused to budge my arms.

My greatest fear in the animal kingdom is a rat--or anything that looks remotely like a rat.  I was too frozen in fear to get up and leave right that minute and I knew it was almost over, so I lay there, arms under me for the final taps and rubs.

When I got up, I asked, "Does anyone speak English?  I need to know what bit me."

One of the women led me to the back and showed me the nibbler--a beautiful gray cat curled up innocently in his basket.

But still, the horror of the possibility that it COULD have been a rat left me unnerved and even teary for a while, so I can't say this particular massage did the trick.



No comments: