Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Making

Yesterday, on the anniversary of my daddy's birthday, I was thinking about that book I always mention: The Make It Book he gave me when I was about 10 or 11.  By today's standards of children's books, it wasn't particular original--just a collection of instructions for how to make things out of felt, cardboard, soap, and fabric, household objects close at hand.

It was, however, my first hardbound book and it was about what I liked to do most--make things.  I pored over it for hours and made a few things in the book, but the best thing was that it was a perfectly wonderful present, out of the blue, not on a special occasion, from my daddy who knew what I loved to do.

Sixty years later, I still love to make things--journals, rooms, collages, gifts, photographs, and cakes.
Instead of (or in addition to) books, however, I'm watching video tutorials every day.

At lunch on my daddy's birthday--when he was uppermost in my mind as he's always front and center in my heart--I met a man who is an artist.  He had the sensibility of an artist, a freedom of spirit, and an openness to the adventure of creating.  Creativity (doing it or appreciating it)  makes adult humans juicier and more like little kids, always on the prowl for a good play.

We were talking about Julia Cameron's suggestion (in The Artists Way) that we give ourselves an "artist date" at least once a week.  On that date, we take a break from  routine and we set out on a day of adventure, whatever that means to us, and just play.  Or gather materials for art,  Or try something new.  Or whatever.

I want every day to be an artist date--and this man agreed!  But then he added something I hadn't thought about before.

As a child, he could never understand why, when he wanted something, his mother said, "Wait til your birthday."

Why wait for something wonderful and pleasurable? he wondered.

So he doesn't wait any more.  He buys himself little presents all the time, and he loves giving presents to friends--who likewise give presents to him. The gift might be something you find in a store or even a thrift shop, or a new book, or a handmade journal, or a special soap--whatever it is that reminds you of your friend and what he/she would like.  It's a kind of playful karma, he said.

Here's to playful karma, gift giving on any day of the year, and making things!  Here's to the books of childhood and the many teachers along the way who inspire us to do new things!


No comments: