Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2019

Cards, Clues, Cottages, and Comfort

Yesterday I picked up Nathan and Elena after school, watched a dinosaur video game with Nathan, helped Elena set up her village, played Clue (Nathan loves that game!), won my first game with Mr. Plum's terrible murder with candlestick in the library, and watched the debates after the kiddos went to bed, and drove home about 11.

I had bought this pack of jumbo playing cards at Tuesday morning for paper crafts, but Elena claimed them as hers when she found them in the car while we waited for Nathan, and she did her best magic trick in mega-size cards.


Elena wanted her village on the trunk at the foot of her bed.
I loved watching her set up the building and Christmas trees! 



As happy as I've been to be invited to join them for a trip to Japan this summer, I've decided to decline.  Some things are better done when one is a decade or two younger.  I made my informed decision after talking to two friends who have visited or lived in Japan and learned more about the Asian toilet situation I'd encounter there.  I could just imagine myself falling into one of those squat toilets and having to dial the Japanese equivalent of 911!

Also, my knee situation would be counter to the active outdoor physical activities that this young family is planning.

I'm putting the invitation in the long positive side of the ledger of being a mom and grandmother and looking forward to hearing about all their adventures there! But as for me, I'm staying put (or traveling within North America) favoring comfort over certain adventurous moves.

No comments: