Pages

Thursday, November 28, 2019

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm thankful for writers, books, and lenders of books.

Pam shared  The Confession Club, by Elizabeth Berg--which I read in two short sittings this week: a novel about a group of friends who meet weekly to take turns confessing things they have never told anyone before.

(I was reminded of truth sessions in 8th grade, of writing groups, of conversations among my friends when one of us surprises even ourselves by what we reveal and how good it is when nobody is mortified.)

Joy shared The Black Widow Club by Mary Powell--the book I'm enjoying in the middle of the night instead of making turkey and pies. In this novel four friends leave Houston and travel to Ajijic, Mexico, to explore the possibility of buying a house together there.  Divorced and/or widowed, their plan is to have a "creative and courageous" last chapter of their lives and take care of each other if need be--quite an attractive alternative to assisted living in America if you ask me!

Both books are about women's friendships and taking some risks to create the lives they want--moving away, buying a house, falling in love, or taking on a new project in spite of the objections of other people.

As I read these two books, I'm thinking about the power of true friendships--the people with whom we can be totally honest--and about the choices that can make our final decades as vivid and creative as the ones of our youth, maybe more so.

While I may be here alone in my house reading in the middle of the night, I'm having some wonderful conversations--with Pam and Joy (who shared these books ); with Mary Powell and Elizabeth Berg (who wrote these books); and with the characters on their pages. 






No comments: