Pages

Friday, November 22, 2019

Contagion

Even with the impeachment hearings going on in the background for parts of yesterday, I gave myself a day to do Nothing.  When I don't have a single thing on the calendar and no promises to keep, I actually do a lot--but all from the work table in the kitchen or the one beside my bed.

I have enough Posca pens and acrylic paint to last me  three decades, and I'm enjoying every drop, stroke, and scrape.  Writing comes naturally, but this?  Every day is a new day of exploring and discovering.

At midnight, I had watched tutorials by Robyn and another favorite, Nik The Booksmith.  I made myself go to sleep, but a couple of hours later I woke up and proceeded to try a few techniques I'd learned.  The last time I looked at the clock it was 4 a.m.!

What I was doing on paper were journal pages, but what I was experiencing was tranquility, punctuated by a series of "A-Ha"s.  Lacking the knowledge I have about writing, I am not tied to expectations, grades, or feedback--just plunging into this unfamiliar water for the fun of it.

I had shared some supplies (and an extra gel plate)  with Carlene--as she had expressed a desire to make greeting cards.  Then I began sending her links to videos I liked--videos for making collages and books. This morning I got a text that was so wonderful I'm sure she won't mind if I share it:

Found it!  Your secret!  Art journaling sans the compunction to "produce" something--as is my lifetime mantra.  Watching videos in lieu of news broadcasts, stashing ideas to use with my now-accumulated toys when I wake at night thinking about stuff I can't change and don't want to devote my years to!  In other words--create w/o intention or purpose!!!! Who cares if I never send a greeting card?  Just cut and paste and paint and stencil ad infinitum for fun and if/when/or share if ever so inclined!

Thanks!






No comments: