Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

My Town

I've just completed step one of my cardboard village--and it's been so much fun to make that I wanted to give you a link, should you decide you want to make your own:

https://www.amazon.com/Glitter-Houses-UNASSEMBLED-Corrugated-Cardboard/dp/B07CLM4NBP/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=glitter+putz+houses&qid=1573097707&sr=8-4

This set comes beautifully cut and packaged from Lithuania, and the instructions are easy to follow.

When I found these, I was looking for surfaces to gel print on.  The gel press gives a more aged and mottled look than painting directly on the cardboard would do.

Here's what a gel press looks like:

https://www.amazon.com/Gel-Press-10802-Plate-X10/dp/B01GOO7HL0/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3HMOTVI3KFLZE&keywords=gel+press+printing+plate&qid=1573097922&sprefix=gel+press%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExM09ZVElXUVE2VEVUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjQ4NjMyTDI1Qlc0Sk0ySEhDJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5NDEwODBOSUFZQUlUUkFIMEEmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

You can choose any size you like; I used the 8 x 10.

There are numerous videos on You Tube that will show you how to do Monoprinting: essentially, you just put a small amount of acrylic paint on the plate, brayer it, and then press the paper or cardboard onto it.  You can mix paints or layer them to get a look that resembles aging peeling paint.  You can use stencils or draw shapes on it to add more texture and dimension.

I now have a pink church with a brass steeple, a yellow house with a blue roof, a red tower, etc.  After they dry, I will decide whether or not to add more elements before coating them with Mod Podge sealer.

For holiday decor, you could put a battery-operated candle inside and lights would twinkle through the windows.  You could--as I plan to do--arrange them like a village and add miniature Christmas trees and snow.  You could add glitter or use little pieces of lace to make curtains.

I rarely clean my gel plate, but if you do want to clean your paint off, just let it dry and put strips of packing tape on it and the paint will lift right off.

No comments: