Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2020

July 16th

When this pandemic is over, I hope to return to sleeping at night and being awake during the day.  In spite of the constancy of terrible news, I find a bit of balancing pleasure in seeing my news-bringers  in their homes.  I like scrutinizing their book shelves to see what they are reading. I like seeing what they have around them, the colors, the art, the kitchens. People somehow seem more humanized in their natural environments.

John Heilemann is a frequent guest on MSNBC.  He always talks from an immaculate white kitchen, and there's always a fresh pineapple or a bowl of pineapples on his bar.  Yesterday, as he spoke, his two enormous furry dogs were there, one on each side.  When he leaned down to kiss one of them, I thought, "This must be the sweetest moment I've ever seen on cable news."  When he signs off, he puts his hands together in the gesture of Namaste.

I'm betting these experienced journalists never dreamed they would spend so much air time on a man like the current resident of the White House (110 days til voting might bring a turn in the tides!).

In the meanwhile, I'm profiling the news bringers based on their decor and books.  It's amazing how little it takes to amuse me right now!




No comments: