Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

July 21

It's hard to know what to say anymore about the state of the country.  Today's episode of terrorism by president includes secret armed federal police wearing camouflage uniforms are grabbing peaceful protestors and shoving them into unmarked cars.

Mary Trump said that the country is playing out the pathology of the Trump family, a family who will do anything, even to each other, for money. Since there is little we can do about any of it besides voting, I'm willing to stand in line as long as it takes to cast my vote for Democrats, and I'm counting the days.

In the meanwhile, in and out of the blues, I'm choosing blue Talavera tiles to turn my bathroom into what Linda Kot calls "Midnight in the Oasis." Sometimes, I feel like I'm fiddling while America burns.

Even in the madness, however, there are moments of beauty and friendship and love--and that's what I'm trying to focus on.

Today is the 23rd anniversary of the death of my adorable grandmother, Mimi.  Here she is in her nineties. I loved spending a week each summer with her.  Besides watching her cook, watching Lawrence Walk with her and Papa, and helping her hang clothes on the line, we'd have a shopping day in Macon and eat lunch at the S&S Cafeteria.  I don't actually recall her buying anything, but she'd patiently walk with me through several stores as I chose souvenirs with my dollar saved for the occasion.  (If you played it right, a dollar could get you two or three things, including a book.)



No comments: