Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2020

My Pen Pal



Recently, Elena said, "I know Nana and Granddaddy, but I never have seen pictures of Granddaddy Mark and Grandmama."

So I found some pictures and sent them to her--one taken at my wedding in 1967, the other on my 40th birthday.

These few words (along with a little gem she included stapled inside a green index card) thrilled me!
This was Elena's first letter.  She asked her parents every day if I had gotten it, and when I let them know it had arrived, she smiled her big Elena smile and asked if we could be pen pals.

Elena's letter and Jackson's phone call were the gems of the week.  Jackson called to tell me he'd gotten a job at Auto Zone and a scholarship for his first two years of college at NOVA.  Since most of his classes will be online, he's chosen to live at home and go to a junior college the first two years, then transfer to UVA starting his junior year.

Today I bought a tub, a toilet, bathroom fixtures.  Tomorrow I will decide on the color of tiles to surround the blue ones.  Saturday, the old tub comes out and the new one goes in.

It's been a happy and productive day!



No comments: