Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A joyous day with Joy

Joy and I have, friends for forty, celebrated our August-October birthdays yesterday with a spend-the-day in Fredricksburg.

In Boerne, we sat by the river and fed the ducks--a place where we both have lifelong fond memories.  While sitting there, I opened my birthday present from Joy--a whole bag of art supplies for my upcoming venture.  I am now looking at a box of 18 tubes of acrylic paints and hoping I can turn them into something good.

By good I think I mean satisfying to do and revelatory to me, the novice painter. New media takes us new places.  We don't know where we're going to go with it until we actually make the first stroke on the page or canvas.  Right now, I'm in the preliminary thinking-about-it phase--but the first stroke will happen soon. In a way, yesterday was my first class, as I listened to Joy tell me such interesting projects from her early art classes in college!  (She later married Frank, her then-professor, and they live an artful, happy life at Medina Lake.)

In Fredricksburg, we went into shops we've been in through the years, along with some new ones on Main Street--poking around, looking, trying on clothes, talking and laughing.  Then we had lunch at the Peach Tree, a place we've been to over the years. I, who had no intention of buying clothes, tried on and bought several wonderful new pieces of brand new clothes--as opposed to thrift shop ones.



Driving home, we were recalling the differences between our children's childhoods and our own.  Maybe we Baby Boomers who grew up in the Fifties were the last American generation to have total freedom to wander about the towns and cities in which we grew up?  We could hop on our bikes or meet our friends and explore, no one worrying about us as long as we got home by meal time.  Our children and grands, on the other hand, were born into a time when we'd all seen enough television to fear for our children when they were out of our sight.

How wonderful it is to have a friend who goes all the way back in time...and all the way forward!

Joy in the linen shop in Fredricksburg
against a panel of placemats.



No comments: