Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Whacking a Pomegranate

These beautiful fruits--which I now have in abundance--were not part of Southern culture.  I never once called out to my mother and asked, "What are you doing?" to hear her say, "Slicing pomegranates for dessert" or "Making power pome salad."

While I've shelled a few butterbeans and black-eyed peas in my life and sliced literally thousands of lemons, tonight was my first experience with whacking a pomegranate--as per Jan's instructions.

I gave away a few yesterday--and the recipients weren't particularly enthusiastic, I could tell.  Apparently, they, too, grew up in pomegranate poverty.

What you do is cut the fruit in half and whack whack whack as you hold it over a bowl.  Out pop the seeds--which is what you eat or put in salads or add to your morning smoothies.  They are beautiful jewel-like seeds and I'll post a picture tomorrow to show you.  They are, research indicates, packed with micronutrients and Vitamin C.*

*Research on these matters mostly comes from my friend Kate Mangold--who told me that when she made a house call today to see when I was going to feel better and get out and do stuff again. 

I am at this moment eating the first handful--I got about a cup of seeds from one pomegranate.  They are delicious!

If anyone wants to submit other uses for pomes, I'd be glad to know some other uses for this bowl of seeds and the ones I will release from their shells tomorrow.

Turns out, in spite of all the health remedies mentioned in the earlier post, I do have bronchitis after all--an infection that develops if allergies are allowed to roam free for too long. The doc gave me steroids and antibiotics and I'll be feeling perky again by tomorrow.  I hate to bring out the Big Guns--but apparently that's what it takes to clear the bronchial tubes--that and pomegranate seeds.




No comments: