Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

From Diana--on reading the earlier post by the writer who died too young of cancer


Her words touched my heart.

What a lovely, courageous lady and what a beautiful lesson in leaving.  I haven't read her before this, her last post.  But even from these few words, I have a sense of her life and her character.

One of the many thoughts I was left with was that she was blessed with being able to live her life to the very fullest, without the specter of imminent death looking over her shoulder.  Rather, it was somewhere in the future, behind the mirror, beyond the horizon, not quite believable.

We all live knowing we will die, but that true knowledge is blessedly tamped down with our everyday existence.  No one really believes they will die.  Not really.  Without this cloak of invisibility shrouding the fact of our death, we wouldn't be able to live and love, hope and dream, create and enjoy our lives to the fullest.

I'm sure with her diagnosis, she was aware that death was a possible, perhaps inevitable prognosis.   But, learning of her end coming in a few short days, freed her from having to drag herself through months or years with that unwanted companion tugging at her sleeve every single minute.
I admire her and pray that I will greet my death with such graciousness.

Much love, Diana

No comments: