Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Why We Write About Hard Things: Part I

Home Song Stories is an autobiographical story about the childhood of the writer and director Tom Ayres.  When the film begins,  the adult Tom is writing these words:  "If everyone has a story which defines them, which shapes who they are, this is mine...."

It made me wonder: Do we all have "a story which defines us and shapes who we are"?  What is that story and why do we keep returning to it, over and over?  Why does that defining story keep showing up in our writing, even when we set out to write something else entirely?

I'll write more about Tom's story and mine--but first, I'd just like to insert that question into your day (and my own)....

If you were making a movie (or writing a blog or a book) with those opening words, what story would you tell?






No comments: