Pages

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

"The Inner Child"

Remember that catch phrase in the sixties--We should "get in touch with our inner child"?

Well, I'm more convinced than ever that the expression carries some good advice for all of us!
My friend Sandy--who happens to be a therapist--said recently that if we don't let the inner child out to play, it will misbehave, just as real children do.  She suggested that an ignored child-part will cry out for whatever it takes to feel better: often overindulgences in sweets and comfort foods.

Think of child's play as a weight loss program, if you have to--but let that kid inside you have some fun!

I've started a small collection of dolls, ostensibly for Elena (to whom I'll give them when she's older), but for now, these little dolls just make me happy.  (I've always photographed faces of old dolls and rag dolls in antique stores, though until recently, it didn't occur to me to actually buy them.)

I saw a boy doll in overalls that reminded me of Will when he was little--and the price tag said $100.  I picked him up and noticed that his arm was a bit wonky at the shoulder joint, a handicap which I pointed out to the owner.  Before I knew it, she'd reduced the price.  "Okay, I'll let him go for $15!"

Sold to the lady who likes this little guy!



I don't like all dolls.  A Barbie doll, for example, will never high-heel it into my house--unless she sneaks in under cover of darkness when I'm sleeping. I like dolls with happy child faces, dolls that speak to my inner seven-year-old, dolls that look like potential friends.









No comments: