Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Ellie and Other Things

When you go to the doctor, you should take a friend!

I didn't know how shaky I was until I broke out in hives in the waiting room--my feet were suddenly covered with what looked like masses of mosquito bites.  My toes were swollen and purple, and the whole affair itched like crazy!

Lorraine went into the room with me and helped me listen, thank goodness. The C that I had (past tense!) was banished with the surgery, so I no longer have it.  Pam says we are not going to use the word that begins with C, but are going to refer to it as Ellie who came to visit and then left!

Dr. Cardenas did not prescribe further treatment as Ellie's been banished already, but I'm set up to see my regular doctor to talk about preventative measures.  He mentioned estrogen-blockers and radiation, but Lorraine and I agreed that he seemed to think both would be a bit too aggressive in my case and at my age.  We had to read between the lines, but we know how to do that.

So the bad news was that I had a scare.  The good news is that it's over.  I'll have to be more watchful in the future and probably have screenings twice a year, but it could be a one-time thing that never shows up again!

Some Juicy Bits:

An excellent program on On Point Radio tonight--on the intelligence of birds: http://onpoint.wbur.org/2016/04/12/bird-brains-science-avian

Pigeons have such amazing visual acuity that they are able to distinguish between healthy and unhealthy breast tissue.  Imagine a bird-brain pigeon reading your next mammogram!

Here's Carlene with her sister Dot's adorable granddaughter:





Today's Diane Rehm Show--on what Chinese philosophers can teach us about "the good life": http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2016-04-12/michael-puett-and-christine-gross-loh-the-path-what-chinese-philosophers-can-teach-us-about-the-good-life?_ga=1.214085396.2045529921.1460513446

And, finally, if you are interested in taking some  online classes or workshops from The Dirty Footprints site, (21 Secrets), check out these online classes:  http://www.dirtyfootprints-studio.com/2016/02/21-secrets-tools-techniques-is-here








No comments: