Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Mother Stories


With the approach of Mother's Day, I would love it if those of you who read this would send me short stories about your mothers that I can post.

I'm going to share two paragraphs I loved from emails this week--one from Diana, one from Yvette:

1. May 1 (tomorrow) is Diana's birthday.  I asked her what she would do to celebrate her birthday and she wrote me this:

"I have never been sensitive about celebrating my birthday, and more so ever since Mother died. I don't pay too much attention to it. Mother would always call and sing me the birthday song. If you knew how much she detested talking on the phone, you could appreciate this gesture of love."

2. Yvette has been spending a lot of time and energy caring for someone who is ill in her family. But even during a difficult time, she's gleaning life lessons and channeling the voices of her mother and grandmother to give her strength:

"The other day I fell over my own feet in our back bedroom in our home; Falling Face front, leaning to the right, partially on my knees on top of an old injury. I was by myself, started crying for only 2 seconds & suddenly found myself breaking out in a bombastic laugh. I invoked my mother & her mother. I suddenly was able to lift myself, calm myself, listen to myself & my body. I found a key! To my struggle."







No comments: