Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Hearts

Yesterday I was accompanied to my cardiology appointment with Elena--so we got the good news together.  My heart is fine, no issues at all!  (I had the lung and heart tests as part of my CREST syndrome, and both were good.)

When I walked into the preschool to pick up Elena, she jumped up off the floor and yelled, "Yenna!  Come meet all my friends!" Then she introduced me to each one.  "You can talk to her!" she said to one shy little girl.  "She's nice."

Elena is clearly the clown of the class.



I'd brought her the bag of books I'd gotten at my recent garage sale, and she was particularly taken with a big thick book of crafts--which we read at the cardiologist's office.  On Thursday, when she spends the day with Nana and me, we will be making things--including a snow globe in a jar, a lemon pig, and a lady bird.

On some days, I feel fragile, I do.  A series of medical appointments, even when the news is good, puts one in mind of her mortality.  Watching  little kids playing is always good medicine for anybody's heart.


I'd meant to stop for lunch between preschool and the 2:15 appointment but didn't want to wake my sleeping passenger, so I helped myself to the leftovers in her Bento box. As we were leaving the doctor's office, I said, "I ate the other half of your sandwich in the car while you were sleeping."

She grinned and held up her finger: "How DARE you???"  Then--"That's my joke for when I don't mean it."



No comments: