Pages

Monday, April 11, 2016

It Takes a Village

Saturday night, after writing group, Cindy and Pam and had a conversation that involved a lot of names.  None of us could think of the exact name, but with input from all three, we finally got them!

"It takes a village...." one of us said.

For a long time, we've talked about getting together to watch some videos to inspire us to make visual art--and Pam has an excellent series she bought from 21 Secrets.  So this morning, we watched one of them and got inspired just as we'd planned.

"My mother said I couldn't ever be an artist," Cindy said.  "But I've always wanted to be one.  I wanted to paint on the West Bank."

"That's so sad," I said.

"She didn't know any better," Cindy said.

Most of us have been discouraged along the line--from someone.  A teacher, in my case.  But these videos concentrate on doing it for the FUN of it--and we're all in for that.

Cindy has a table on her porch that is all peeling and scratched.  She'd planned to refinish it, but Pam suggested she keep it as it is for an art table.

"It has character," Pam said.  "Character: that's what I tell myself every time I see this face in the mirror!"

When we parted, Cindy and I headed to Jerry's Art O-Rama--me to buy a sketch book in which I'll try out some of the techniques we learned about this morning, Cindy to buy (Drumroll!) an
easel!  It was in a big, seriously big, box!

It takes a village of supportive people to counteract some of the messages of yore!


No comments: