Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

A synchronicity: Just as I was listening to Maira Kalman (interview "ON Being") one of her books fell through the mail slot of my front door onto the floor!

I save podcasts for road trips like a big box of chocolates--and On Being is always a favorite.  As the landscape changes and my mind wanders down its own back roads in silence, a podcast featuring a wise or funny or provocative mind is like good music: you can dip in and out, in and out, letting lines fall into the net as they will.

News is different, especially on television. Political news is like a train wreck and I can't help myself: I check in at least once every night just to see the most recent disasters so I'll know what to expect.  Kavenaugh.  Trump.  Roe vs. Wade likely to be overturned.  Men saying what women should do with their bodies and the President arrogantly saying "If you're famous, they let you do anything."

But the news pulls me in and silences everything else, so I try to limit it to one hour a day.

Podcasts, on the other hand, the ones I save in my chocolate box, are expansive, mind-opening, beyond whatever what's-his-name is stepping into or blurting out or who he's offending.  Maybe that's the secret: ignore him and he'll go away?  At least, he'll go away from my mind?

https://onbeing.org/programs/maira-kalman-the-normal-daily-things-we-fall-in-love-with-sep2017/


No comments: