Pages

Friday, September 28, 2018

pumpkins and persimmons

Just before entering the Natchez Trace Parkway at mile marker 160, I visited several people in the town of Kosciusko, Mississippi.

Leonard was singing "Hallejuia" at top volume when I pulled into the farm stand of Kenny and Anita Horne.  I bought some squash and tomatoes for Carlene and spent about half an hour looking at their exotic pumpkins, 15 varieties, including:

Fairy Tale
One Too Many
Speckled Hound
Blue Moon
Peanut
White Cinderella
Porcelain Doll
Knucklehead
Jack O'Lantern

Kenny was arranging them by type in little piles by the side of the road and they were beautiful!




"You need to meet you a rich man on your trip,
 but all the good ones are taken," he said--
pointing to himself! 


"Oprah Winfrey's from here," he told me.  "But we don't claim her no more.  She's done turned liberal on us."

I didn't go there.

"You know it's gonna be a cold winter," he said.  "The persimmons told me so."

Then Anita told me about the legend of the persimmons, how you can crack them open and tell by the shape of their seeds what kind of winter to expect.  "Works right every time."

I looked it up on the Farmer's Almanac and here it is:

https://www.almanac.com/content/predicting-weather-using-persimmon-seed



One Too Many is so named
Because they look like bloodshot eyes
after one too many drinks!










No comments: