Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

The 80s

 In the 80s a friend invited me to go to a Southern Living event in downtown San Antonio.  It was a big deal with cooking demonstrations, etc., but I don't remember a thing about it--except this:

Sherry introduced me to a friend of hers this way:  "This is Linda, the one I told you about, who doesn't have an air conditioner, a dish washer, a microwave, a paved driveway, or a garbage disposal.  Until recently she didn't even have a TV."

That was the first time I'd been defined and introduced by what I didn't have so it was memorable.  

I'm taking a Time Traveler class taught by three of my favorites in the gel printing world.  The first, Marsha Valk, is starting the class with a time travel back to the 80s.  I'm trying to remember that decade, though as far as pop culture is concerned, I'm drawing a blank.

So last night during the convention, I texted Day and Will to see what memories came up for them.  They had me laughing out loud so hard as they fired memories to me by text that I couldn't keep up.  (I may share a few of them in a later post.)

You might like to try this with your kids during this time of distance.   You may discover some things they never told you at the time!  

This is me, 1980, when I was a Brownie leader for Day and her friends and we all dressed up like clowns for the Corny-val parade.





No comments: