Pages

Monday, December 28, 2020

A favorite. book of 2020

 


In the circle of my life, I'd buy just about any book with polka dots on the cover.  This one is intended for water color practice.  Each page is divided into grids like the one on the cover in which you can practice a different circle of watercolor a day.  

I've been doing mine since I got the book in October except I don't follow directions and do just one a day.  Usually I do a two-page spread or more every time I sit down to watercolor.  

Watercolor is a new medium for me, but doing circles has taught me a lot about how it moves, which brushes to use, and how to mix colors for different effects.

I'm not the only one who's drawn to polka dots.  In Ingrid Fetell Lee's book, Joyful, she writes that circles are the most universally joy-giving shapes.  Think of confetti, balloons, birthday cakes, candles, and all the round things that bring pleasure to your life. Sitting in a circle around a campfire. The sun and moon. Flowers and planets.  Faces and pies. 





No comments: