Pages

Monday, December 21, 2020

When does Old begin?

Today TPR's noon guest was my friend Bonnie Lyons--talking about the book she and Deb Field wrote together, their interviews with a diverse group of talented women over 80. 

The book is called Wonderful Old Women.  They let me take pictures, against my protest that I'm an amateur, and it was fun to photograph these women in their houses and gardens and art studios.

Many of the women calling asked questions about how women are treated differently when they pass a certain age.  

But what is that age?  And how do you know that you are being perceived as old?

I noticed it when young women and old men doctors began calling me "Sweetie."  Women don't like being called "Girls" and "Dear" and "Sweetheart" by people we don't know.  What to do about it?  Bonnie and one of the callers had an idea: Call them that right back!



 





No comments: