Pages

Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Full moon and little moons all over the page

As Pam was about to drive out of the driveway last night, the big fat moon spread her golden light all over us. We mentioned that this might be a sleepless night--as full moon nights can be. 

So here I am at three in the morning, a light sprinkle outside, painting in a beautiful hand-made journal Pam gave me a year ago. It's so special that I've been saving until I had enough skill not to mess it up. 

Watercoloring is better than sleep anyway.  While I'm hoping to paint a bird soon, just for fun, right now I'm happy painting circles and shapes, the colors moving and spreading and bumping into each other on wet spots of paper.  

I now officially have enough art supplies to last me for the rest of this lifetime and another!

Day gave me the complete set of Arteza brush pens as part of my Christmas spread of art supplies, and Will gave me heavy black watercolor paper and a tin palette of artist quality watercolors. I'm about to start experimenting with metallic watercolors and white ink on black paper.  

Those of you who love art supplies understand: you can't die until you use them all up. So when Day gave me all these new markers and brushes and inks, she said her intention was to add 45 year to my life!

Another project for this week is gel printing a stack of papers with matte acrylic, then staining them with ink sprays and stains.  Until I watched a lesson on this technique a couple of nights ago, I didn't realize that acrylic paints come in matte finishes.  The chalkiness soaks up stains and ink sprays better than regular acrylics do, and the finished pages resemble mottled ancient walls.  

If the moon will cooperate, however, I think I'll get a few more hours of shut-eye before heading out to the play house.....





No comments: