Pages

Friday, August 7, 2015

Debbie, the Paint Lady

Debbie is the friend of Mike's I told you about--or I think I did.  Unlike me, Debbie can fix a car, plant trees, do plumbing and electricity, and build or remodel a house.

She took the most decrepit house in Demorest, Georgia, and--almost single-handedly,  turned it into this:

Everyone who saw it said she just tear it down!
Look at it now!

A beautiful three-color front door, flanked by a
couple of San Antonio presents from Mike

I love her sense of color!  When she lived in Hartwell,  head of the Home Depot paint department, everyone called her The Paint Lady.

On the 4th of July, she wanted to put up a flag, and Mike and I went there and watched as she dug the hole for the pole he'd made for her.  She can work a post hole digger like I can work a.....well, spoon or pen I guess.

Will has a post hole digger, too--he calls it his Redneck Ph.D.  I can not operate this tool in air, much less in soil.

Debbie digging a hole, Mike looking on

This morning, when I told Mike I'd like to do the same color on the apartment as he has in his kitchen and bedroom, he said, "Call Debbie and ask her for the formula."

This is the text she sent back:

"Tell them you want Behr premium exterior in satin color code S-G-290.  Before you paint the orange peel put a good coat of Kilz premium primer.  Without that you can put on 4 or 5 coats of orange peel and it will won't be quite right.  The trim will be best done in Behr premium exterior semi-gloss ultra pure white, but have them add 2/48 of an ounce of black per gallon and shake it.  This helps reduce streaking and actually looks brighter white.  If you want to see if they know what they're doing just tell them you want B-2 in our ultra pure white semi gloss base...see if they get puzzled:-)  Make sure that you double check what they are adding.  2/96 or 2/384 is no good.  Must be 2/48!"

Who knew that painting a door or a wall was such an exact science?  I'm going to have to take this recipe with me to Home Depot tomorrow--and see if I can pull it off.

Linda and Debbie under the flag






No comments: