Pages

Monday, August 17, 2015

Monday at the casita


This week, we're building a narrow Saltillo tile patio in front and a deck on the back. We hired a terrific helper for a couple of days, so I'm mostly the go-fer--and relieved to be just that for a couple of days.

This morning, running on low fuel, I went to Lowe's to get pavers to support the deck.  Everyone in every department seemed grouchy.  I felt grouchy myself.  And then I met Jim.

Jim loaded the car for me and was cheerful to the point of ebullience.  It was his third day and he "loved" all the customers and all the other employees.  About the woman who had been particularly grouchy, he said, "She's such a sweetheart."  About his customers, he said, "Home improvement people are just wonderful."

It made me think: perception is everything.  This happy man is so intent on seeing the best in people that it's all he sees.  Maybe what we see on a given day is what we are.












No comments: