Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Wednesday

I throw away food after its expiration date--much to Mike's ire.  Wasting anything, no matter how scuzzy, must be one of the seven deadly sins in his book, if he had a book on sins.

Some men hunt ducks, some hunt deer.  Mike, the animal lover, does neither.  Hunting embedded in the DNA of men, Mike's prey is--bargains!

Not that I'm complaining--he's saved me tons of money.  But show him a flea market or Habitat Store and he sets his site on bargains and nails one every time.  More likely, a cart-full.

I buy one thing at a time.  He buys half a dozen.  He has enough shampoo and soap, for example, to last him two lifetimes.

"You're throwing that OUT?" he asks,  incredulous, whenever I toss something in the trash.  We can use it for rags.  We can use it to paint one more coat.  I could build something out of that. We can use it sometime, some day, I'm sure. If you don't want it, put it in the truck.  I'll take it home with me.  

Do we really need two dozen paint brushes from Harbor Freight?  Do we really need a screen that fits no windows?  Do we really need to squeeze one more day out of a ratty paint roller?

"I'd be happy with just peanut butter sandwiches and fruit every day," he says.

He's exceedingly generous with his time, but our attitudes about food and money are on different pages in the attitude book, if we had an attitude book.

He likes to play music the minute he wakes up.  I like  NPR.  People, as Carlene says, are different.

Today we painted from seven to eleven, took a nap, then took a trip.

If you're looking for Saltillo tiles, Reeso's on Vance Jackson is your place:





 If you're looking for pots and other  yard art from Mexico, I highly recommend Veronica's dad's place on 1604 at Bandera: Mexico Linda


Mike and Nando petting goats




I get a nice family discount at Nando's place, but his prices are already way less than other places selling mirrors, pots, and decorative pieces.

If after all that shopping for things from Mexico, you want the best Mexican food in a hole-in-the-wall place, we recommend Taqiero Vallarta on Blanco Road.



Mike pronounced this his favorite meal ever--though he says that at every meal.

It's been a good day and we're calling it a day, getting up at the crack of dawn to paint again.

No comments: