Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Day 35 3:30 a.m.

My eyes have been getting tired lately--as in David Whyte's poem: tired of limitations, worry, and distance. Tired of listening to the droning on and on of dullest president we've ever known, tired of bullying, blaming and discord.

As much as I like and appreciate good journalists and smart political experts conversing about topics important to us all, my eyes have been getting tired of CNN and MSNBC too.

My ears have been getting tired of hearing myself weigh in with opinions all the time. (I just did it above.) Everybody already knows, for example, that Trump is the dullest, most narcissistic, and malignant president in our lifetime.  So why should I give more weight to that reality by complaining about him as much as I do--especially when there's a whole other world, even in the middle of this pandemic, to be inspired by?

When I began listening again to David Whyte, that led me to On Being with Krista Tippet.  And that led me to Rebecca Solnit.  I'd just been reading one of her books today, and here she is on Krita's show.  What a nimble mind, what a provocative writer she is!

And that led me to Ross Gay, a poet and writer who talks about looking for delight every day, even in times of great fear.  So here I am in middle of the night, inspired again, my eyes not so tired anymore.

We all find inspiration at different doors. I find mine in poetry, nature, art and philosophy.  I don't lean toward lectures or sermons, but I perk up in conversations with people you'll hear if you follow this trail:

Here is Krista Tippet (from my favorite podcast, On Being) and her "care package" playlist "for uncertain times."

https://onbeing.org/starting-points/a-care-package-for-uncertain-times/


No comments: