Pages

Friday, April 10, 2020

Day 30

          3 in the morning of the 30th day,
          I drove down Austin Highway,

          For the first time in all my night-wandering, I didn't see a single car, not even a police car.  Gas signs announced an unbelievable $1.26 a gallon.  I passed the Target shopping center, across from the closed gym.  Usually homeless people are gathered at the gas stations and bus stops, and usually the line at the one fast food place open at 3 a.m. is long.  But this time, nobody was  out and about.

When I pulled into my favorite all-night Whataburger for a senior drink, I was  greeted with, "Good morning, Beautiful!" by the adorable Andy who works nights.



I know very little about this young man except that he exudes kindness every single time I see him, and if I hold out a dollar, he says, "You know better than that, Sweetheart!"

If I were way younger, I'd have a crush on this curly-haired teddy bear of a man!

          I came home to continue working on my round book:


....And my Rolo Dex cards of gel prints



          I am so excited about a class I signed up for by Lendon Noe, an art professor who also has a degree in  English literature!  The class is called "Meaning Making" and combines poetry with visual art in ways I've been hoping to find.

In the first class, she is teaching how to borrow the structure of a sonnet in a line-making exercise, taking the visual to a whole new level for me, bringing to the visual the techniques and themes of some of my favorite poets: Pablo Neruda, Emily Dickinson, Rilke, Whitman, and others.

I found this course on Carla Sonheim's website: https://www.carlasonheim.com/course/meaning-making-inspired-by-poetry/

Ironically, I had just ordered a book of poetry a few days ago by Pablo Neruda!


No comments: