Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

A sign I saw in a window in Eugene, Oregon

I remember once when Joy and I met Hope Harris from New York City, and we all became friends.

On a road trip, I visited Hope--when she decided that Texas wasn't for her and moved back to Long Island.

Two things struck me as a difference between Hope and her friends and me and my Texas friends:

1. They met for cocktails in the afternoon.  I didn't (still don't) know one cocktail from another.

2.  They were always describing their lives as "crazy"--meaning fast-moving and busy to the max.  
     (In the years since, I have sometimes described my life that way, I'm sorry to report.)

How often do I rush around, checking things off a master list?  How often do I measure the goodness of a day by how much I accomplish?  How often do I neglect to do something that matters because I "have to do" the things on my morning list?  

I want to remember to meander at home, just as I meander on the road: to take the time to stop moving crazily from one thing to another and just sit down on the porch and have a metaphorical cocktail.


No comments: