Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

P.S. Linda Kot

The book Linda is sending me is called The Gifts of An Ordinary Day, by Katrina Kenison....

Here is part of  an email from Linda last week, including a paragraph from the Kenison book:



    "On this winter afternoon, I can't tell where the hills stop and the sky begins.  Every time, I lift my eyes from the words on my screen and look out, the landscape is different.  Finally, I give in, turn off the computer, and watch the clouds float by.  I listen to the silence.  The day expands.  The art of stretching time, it seems, is about moving more deeply into the present."

     I love her definition about the art of stretching time!  I could SO relate to that.  I'm reminded of you, as an elementary student, when you shared that your teacher mentioned your love of daydreaming all those years ago...I suspect your soul has always been a creature of the present...knowing how to stretch time and take in so much in that silence that surrounds our souls when we ponder and allow wonder to engulf us and bring us to new depths.  I used to relish looking out over my class and spotting the one that was "daydreaming" and "drifting off into deep thought"...and I'd smile within, deciding to pick my battles...and that was never one of them!  For I knew that a few moments of daydreaming far surpasses being "on topic" 100% of the time...for sometimes we just have to let them "be" and know their way of knowing.  For it's in those moments our souls take the time to absorb all the nutrients of the present moment...and apply the lessons our own souls need to learn...not necessarily what is in the common core curriculum!

1 comment:

Chris Bradley said...

Love this! Love going along with you on your solo journey!