Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Home At Last!

I wasn't afraid driving the curvy Big Sur.
I wasn't afraid of going to a clothing optional hot springs.
I wasn't afraid talking to strangers anywhere.
But I was a little afraid last night in the cab of the tow truck, racing down I 10 in the dark, my poor Mini on the back, the driver with his eyes on the phone attached to his windshield, receiving (then telling me about) the texts from the girl he's in love with (with whom he's had only one date.)

We talked all the way to the roar of the tow truck and the sound of metallic music on his phone.  "She thinks I have a great playlist!" he said.

But look: we got here after all, safe and sound!
"I have the Ugly Duckling syndrome," Kyle told me.  "The kids and everybody always told me I was ugly, that I'd never have a girlfriend, that I was a nerd."

And now look: this girl likes him!  She really really likes him!  She thinks he's handsome, funny, and smart--all of which he is, actually.

By the time we got to San Antonio, I wanted to adopt the boy.  His father never calls him; he sends a card on his birthday.  His mother moved far away (to Kerrville--that's an hour away) and he hasn't seen her since two birthdays ago.

Today, my suitcases are strewn all over the living room.  The Mini is at the Mini Center getting a new tire.  The mail is a foot high.  My body is stiff from trying to "help" Kyle drive by leaning this way and that way for five hours.  I'm just about to soak in my very own bathtub and start slowly plowing through the stacks of things--after I eat more of the goodies Sweet Jan and Kate left in my refrigerator for me to come home to!

It was wonderful going, and it's wonderful being home!

Thanks so much to those of you who have followed along from Day One, and thanks to all of you who have given me such amazing hospitality and beds and food along the way!

No comments: