Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

The Essential Tao of Travel

From the book, The Tao of Travel
By Paul Theroux:

1. Leave home.  (check)

2. Go alone. (check)

3. Travel light. (hmmmm)

4. Bring a map  (check check check--thanks to AAA and Mapquest on the phone)

5. Go by land (check)

6. Walk across a national frontier (Had planned to go to Yosemite but national parks are all closed.)

7. Keep a journal (Does a blog count?)

8. Read a novel that has no relation to the place you're in. (While I'm usually an avid reader of fiction, I
    prefer to read poetry and nonfiction when I'm traveling, something that doesn't force me to follow
    along someone else's narrative path. )   

9.  If you must bring a cell phone, avoid using it. (Have rarely been able to get cell phone coverage
     when I am free to talk, and vice versa--but I wouldn't leave home without it)

10. Make a friend.  (check)




No comments: