Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Remembering Blue Highways....

by William Least Heat-Moon:
That book revealed to me that it was the blue-on-the-map roads that were the ones I wanted, too--not the big red roads, the fastest route from any Here to any There.

AAA will mostly give you the red roads.  Many men (I started to say "most" but decided not to over-generalize) and even some women will prefer the Red Roads--which is fine by me because it leaves more space on the blue roads for ramblers such as myself to explore, to be ready to pull off at a moment's notice to take pictures of pumpkins  and sunsets and lighthouses, and to do U-turns, often discouraged on the red roads.

I am now reading William Least Heat-Moon's  latest book, Roads to Quoz/An American Mosey.

In an early chapter he writes about the reasons people travel west.  His own reason:

"...To go out not quite knowing why is the very reason for going out at all, and to discover the why is the most promising and potentially fulfilling of outcomes."

No comments: