Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Turning In Early tonight...

in Portland...

I arrived here early in the afternoon and explored the area a bit: went to Washington Park where, on a clear day like today, you can see Mt. Hood in the distance.

I went to an art gallery near here and the artist running the gallery gave me enough things to do to keep me here for a week.  The city is beautiful, but I'm running out of city energy.

Traveling alone, cities are harder to find a way into than small towns--I find them overwhelming unless I have (a) more time, and (b) a traveling companion.

Tomorrow morning is the time to decide: north or south--and I'm leaning toward the latter.

I had a simple little birthday dinner at a vegan bakery in the arts district where I'm staying: a kale and tomato pie and a cup of chili and cornbread.  Simple as it was, it was one of the best meals I've had.

Phone reception is scratchy to non-existent most places--but I've enjoyed snippets of scratchy conversations throughout the day.  When I finally hit Portland proper, my phone was making those friendly dingy sounds that say:  "You have a text" or "You have a voice mail"--and it was like hearing gold coins dropping in my birthday bucket.  Thanks so much to all of you for sending notes, texts and  phone calls. It's been such a nice way to turn the next age: moving along through the astounding golds and oranges of Oregon.


No comments: