Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

So much depends on...

Today I re-read (in my mind, as I so often do) 
William Carlos Williams' poem, "The Red Wheelbarrow."

so much depends
upon 

a red wheel
barrow 

glazed with rain
water 

beside the white
chickens. 




So much depends on a rusty pink wagon, too, with yellow wheels
holding a white pumpkin and an orange one, beside the hay bales, that someone parked
in a yard by a house in the Cascades

These are the moments I treasure on the road: 
the small gifts,  the keepers.

David Whyte wrote:  "When your eyes are tired, the world is tired, too...."
It's the little things that revive your vision, just as much as the large mountains.

I'm thinking, too, of the baskets of plums and apples and pears today,
and the sign: "Take what you want and pay for them at the table."

Which reminds me of another of  William Carlos Williams'  poems:

This Is Just To Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold




One reason I prefer road travel to air travel: on back roads, you can find visual poems
on the way from here to there.

John O'Donahue, the Irish mystic and poet who died a few years ago (but continues to live so vibrantly for me in his books and recordings),
said that in the language of soul, it's the small things that speak most eloquently.

When I read Williams' poems so long ago for the first time, 
I loved them!  They were not grand poems about abstract things, but tiny poems
about plums and rain water and white chickens
that made me look at everything differently.

What matters, in the end, are the moments along the road from here to there:
the bowl of good soup, the cornbread, the tarragon in the dressing,
the smell of cider at a roadside apple stand,
the boxes of plums you can pay for on the honor system.





No comments: