Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

It Matters Where You Sleep

So here it is, October 3rd, and I've had two delightful weeks!

Driving into San Bernardino yesterday was so beautiful that it was all I could do to stay in the car and not stop traffic to take pictures. (Had I stopped in that particular mountain pass, I would likely no longer be here to tell the tale, however).

Not only was it one of the most beautiful parts of this trip, but just as I was driving through it, Day called to give me the good news I'd been waiting all day to hear; all the health issues are resolved; all is well!

Thanks to Facebook (which I'd just recently joined), I connected with my friend Rone Prinz and she invited me to spend last night with her and her family in Woodland Hills just outside LA.  Rone is an artist, a maker of wonderful silver "narrative jewelry" that you may have seen at the Fiesta Arts Fair in San Antonio.

I arrived in Woodland Hills just in time for my afternoon massage/acupuncture treatment.  After two weeks of driving, I had a few road wrinkles that needed ironing out--and this was exactly what it took to get me refreshed and ready for Part 2.

From the acupuncturist (another Linda), then later from Rone and Brad and Meara--I was lucky to get loads of great tips and routes for driving as far north as Canada. All my maps are now scribbled upon with notes and exes and circles.  We had such a fun visit and delicious meal (and a couple of American Spirits with Brad on the patio) that I hardly wanted to leave this morning.


Tonight is another matter.

I have enjoyed four nights in Air B&B places, so I booked another one here near Morro Bay for tonight.  The host (a yoga teacher and energy worker) had posted a cute picture of herself and her boyfriend and her pet monkey.

Had I read the small print,  I'd have picked a Holiday Inn or even a Budget No-Tell.

This grouchy yoga teacher has so many rules it took me ten minutes to read them all: No shoes in the house, no meat, no cooking, no TV ("because we don't like TV"), no washing of clothes unless you pay us $5 extra.....

She does offer "energy work" should you chose to have it--at an extra charge.
And she does ask you to please pet the roosters if you go outside.

You get the picture.

I recommend Air B&B in general.  My previous four hosts have been generous and laid back and welcoming.  But if you choose to use this site, take the time to squinch up your eyes and read the small print and pay attention to the tone of voice between the lines.

I'm holed up in my room at the moment, door closed, with no plans to pet the rooters.
I'll get up early and head to Big Sur....
I won't be paying extra for Energy Work.







No comments: