Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2020

Day 17

12:04 a.m.

1.

Four minutes in and it's Day 17 and Betty's birthday--who is just months ahead of me in landing on 72.  Isn't it funny how you can meet someone in kindergarten, two little kids, and be friends for life?
How do we know, surrounded by a bunch of little five-year-olds, that this particular one is the best, and that we'll both grow up to be future staunch Democrats in a class of future  Republicans?  That we'll always find the same things the same kind of funny?

Here's a poem by Emily Dickinson that reflects on long friendships that endure over the years:

“1383”

Long Years apart – can make no
Breach a second cannot fill –
The absence of the Witch does not
Invalidate the spell –
The embers of a Thousand Years
Uncovered by the Hand
That fondled them when they were Fire
Will stir and understand –
c. 1876

2.

Then I moved to another town, another school, junior year, and my favorite friend in my new town was a lively red-haired cheerleader named Nellie.  At graduation, she sang the solo and I played the piano.  Her song was called "My work is done."  (It wasn't, not even close, but we didn't know that then; we were just seventeen, you know what I mean....")

Nellie sent me a little book she made of what she is doing during isolation-except-for-Arthur, and I wanted to share it with you all for inspiration.

On the cover, it says: "Every day I....."





So if you're looking for a creative way to keep track of your days: this little journal was made of one sheet of paper, cleverly folded to make 8 pages.   And it made me smile to get it.

3.

Will's family is making piñatas.  Here is step one:



4.

Carlos, my yard man, made me a little pineapple pie with homemade crust that was amazing!  I had a pork chop, a slice of Bird Man bred, a pineapple pie and Urth juice for dinner.


5. The Good Karma Hospital

I took a break from my heart guy in Australia to travel to India to see "Karma" because Betty told me I was going to love all the colorful buses in episode one, which I do, along with lush grounds of the hospital and the red Mini convertible and the colorful characters.  This is going to be so good!



No comments: