Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Day 7

How far we've come in awareness in just one week!

We're learning that we are wise to stay home, visiting friends at six-foot distances outdoors only.  We're learning that this virus is mysterious and that this new normal may last longer than we'd thought even a week ago.  And we're canceling all the things on our calendar that we really wanted to do.

My most trusted source of information is Rachel Maddow on MSNBC.  We all have different sources, of course, and we're all learning as we go.

After Rachel, I turn the TV off and work on birthday presents and cards and listen to music or podcasts.  We don't do well to attach ourselves to news 24/7.

The good news of the day is that for the first time since this began, China had no new cases today.

Making things, sharing what cheer I can on the phone--these seem to be my go-to methods of contributing to hope while being cautious.

Day and I are sending each other little gifts for our shared interest in gel printing.  I sent her a happy mail package yesterday and am already working on another box of stencils and stamps from my stash--as that's what she's most wanting and what I have plenty of. (I'm not shopping in stores at all and will learn soon how to order food from Amazon and curb pick ups.)

Today I used some magic foam blocks to make impressions of objects--string, almonds, rice, buttons, etc.  You heat the block with a heat tool for 30 seconds then press it against whatever objects you're impressing and voila!  you have a stamp that can then be used on paper, wood, and fabric.  When you're ready to change it, you just heat it again and make a new one.

When I began gathering art supplies, I knew I'd use them someday.  This is Some Day.




No comments: