Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Natchez

When I got here last night, all the people in the lobby (all but Carolyn--I'll get to her later) were glued to the TV watching the weather channel.  Candy (the young one who served us all red rice and beans) said when a twister came to their neighborhood once, she and her mama just got in the bathtub and pulled a mattress up over them.  She's young and Black and beautiful--but she doesn't know she's beautiful.

I passed on to her my mama's words, "My mama didn't teach me to be afraid," which I could say of my mama herself, and she took that in, I could tell.  She told me she could also get me some iced tea, sweet or unsweet, and told me to go ahead and get me some spaghetti and cornbread and have a good trip.

Carolyn is the desk clerk--a hoot!  She's 67 and getting her associates degree "finally" at the junior college, in hospitality.  I didn't tell her, but she needs no degree--she's hospitality personified already.  We talked for half an hour and I invited her to come spend the night in the casita sometime, gave her my card, hope she will.

"Don't worry about the weather, Baby," she said. "Everything is going to be fine.  You're going to get home tomorrow before dark, no problem, but first come on in here and have you some breakfast."

"The problem with getting a degree at sixty-seven is that nobody might want to hire me.  People think just cause you're older, you're gonna have arth-a-ri-tis and be sick, but I can tell you that's not me.  I have perfect health and I want to do this!"  Her dream is to have a Bed and Breakfast of her own.

The Mississippi River, Natchez view

After rice and beans, drove into Natchez
to see the Mississippi Bridge--which,
weather permitting, I'll be crossing at daylight

Carolyn

"Here--get my good side!" 

On the way here from Covington, I stopped at a cupcake shop in the middle of nowhere--not because I wanted a cupcake, but because I wanted to meet these folks:



Brown's Cake Shop.
Be Still Let Go
Let God Psalms 46:10
Cupcakes

I ordered one pink one just for the chance to take pictures
and talk--but they gave me another one for free and said I MUST see St. Francisville,
which
is exactly where I was heading...







No comments: