Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Tuesday in Mississippi

Today was a beautiful day--weatherwise and otherwise.

As Maya Angelou said, "This is a wonderful day.  I've never seen this one before."

My first stop was in Gautier (pronounced Go-Shay).  I always stop at Block Therapy there--a quilt shop--to look for treasures for Day, my quilter daughter.

Then I got off the big road and wended my way back here to Covington where Betty and I stayed a week ago.  I chose a different motel because there was a  man I'd talked with at the Clarion (who was to be there for two weeks) who knocked at our door that last night and unnerved us both. Betty has already texted me and warned me not to talk to needy men, so I'm abiding by that!

I love the Mississippi Gulf Coast so much that if I were ever going to move anywhere, it would be this area.  Ocean Springs was my delightful surprise of the day, the first town after Gautier. If you ever go there, you must have a meal at Maison de Lu.


The best clam and corn bisque--along with a salad

A mural on a wall in downtown Ocean Springs that reminded me of Will's work. 

A view of the Biloxi Bridge from Ocean Springs beach

At lunch, I had a lively conversation with two local men at a nearby table.  Later in the day, I heard someone shouting, "Hey, San Antonio!" and looked up to see their smiling faces.  The residents and tourists in Ocean Springs were so friendly.  I asked a woman at a Toy Shop if she had any of those big bubble blowers and she said, "Only one and the book is missing, so I'll give it to you."

After Ocean Springs, I stayed on 90 through Biloxi, Gulfport, Pass Christian and Bay St. Louis, then got back up on the big road to find lodging and dinner.  I found a great Japanese Hibachi grill across the street and just returned from dinner to hear that San Antonio is expecting bad weather tonight and tomorrow.  That news (thanks to Joy's email) will help me decide the final leg of this fun journey.



Gulfport Beach




A few Selfies of my Shadows in the Sand





As I rode along, I listened to three extraordinary podcasts,  On Being With Krista Tippet.

I'll put links to them on the next post....



No comments: