Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Tuesday, Day 13

Yesterday was gray in sky and mood.  The first day alone after being with folks I love can feel gray and lonesome--and lonesome is the other side of the proverbial coin of solitude.  Besides I (who love sleep) hadn't slept enough the night before to feel rested and travel ready. I didn't make phone calls due to car noise,  just drove along in the dark, then the morning, then the afternoon, my usual road-curiosity dampened.

By the time I got to Dauphine Island and took a couple of pictures, solitude was starting to feel okay again.

I went to a good and highly-recommended place called Bozo's (one of those places so deep in the city you have to ask your phone how to get there).  It was packed with people and sold all kinds of seafood, raw and cooked. A man was sitting outside playing a horn.  "Do you know Sweet Home Alabama?" one customer asked him.  "No, I know California Dreaming," he said--and I got into my Tiguan (Tiger/Iguana) with a box of shrimp listening to the easy dreamy sound of a trumpet.  I'm back in jazz country.

Then I found a beautiful room with a king-sized bed.  I sprawled all my stuff and myself onto this big bed and was so road-weary I thought I'd fall right to sleep.  But instead I discovered an Irish series on Acorn ( called Striking Out) that was so delightful that I watched a few episodes, then slept, then got up at 3:15 and made myself a banana, apple, and blueberry smoothie.

Now I have the king-sized luxury of going back to sleep, hoping to sleep until ten, then going for a walk on a beach before heading home.




No comments: