Pages

Friday, March 16, 2018

Night Two, Traveling Solo

Today was a wonderful day in Breaux Bridge--a quaint little town on Bayou Teche about ten minutes from Lafayette. Every time I drive this way, I spend a day here--once with Kate, once with Carlene, two or three times alone, and with a couple of former boyfriends. There's something special about the people and food and music in BB.

The old Cafe Des Amis that always had zydeco breakfast (and dancing) on Saturdays is closed.  But a new place called Buck and Johnny's (where I had lunch) has taken over--and I just may pop in and see if I can find myself a dance partner for tomorrow morning's breakfast.

"Y'all" is singular as well as plural here.  "Thank y'all for passing!" always makes me look around to see if someone else is with me.  ("Passing" here means what "stopping by" means at home.)

I drove a short drive to St. Martinville and visited the Longfellow-Evangeline State Historic Site.  While there, I learned that a writer named Carol Brasseaux has written many books about the lifestyle and culture and history of the Creoles and Acadians.  Here's one I plan to read before my next trip here:

Acadian to Cajun: Transformation of a People, 1803-1877 by Carl A. Brasseaux



In BB I discovered a tiny but wonderful gallery right next door to Joie de Vivre, where I always stop for tea and hummingbird cake.  The artist/owner is from North Carolina (she met a musician and moved here) and she uses the naturally grown brown cotton and wool to spin yarn and make scarves and colorful hats.  I bought Day a DVD about the brown cotton and a hat made by the artist for myself. She showed me a beautiful fiddle her brother made for her out of North Carolina walnut--and I'll post a picture of it tomorrow.  My long visit with her was the highlight of the day. 

Leaving BB, I stopped at the Atchafalaya Visitors Center (on the Henderson swamp and just before the long bridge that leads to Baton Rouge).  I'd planned to look for a place to stay in Baton Rouge, but the visitors' center hosts told me about some places I have to see on my way there tomorrow, so I'm back in Lafayette.  Just had dinner and music at the Blue Dog Cajun Cafe--cornbread and greens and deviled eggs.






No comments: